Getting periods in every month is a sign of a healthy body. Periods or menstruation occurs to a woman when the lining of the uterus starts shedding. In this process blood and mucosal tissues start discharging from the inner lining of the uterus through the vagina. Generally, a woman gets her period in every 28 days, but sometimes it delays as well as comes early. Periods occur to women (in their reproductive age) every month and if it does not occur at the exact date and delays for few days, we generally get tensed and just try to find out the possible causes of the delay. But sometimes while facing certain situations like going on a trip or attending a marriage function or other similar occasions, we just do not want to mess up our eventful days with periods. So here are the best ways to delay your periods naturally (No side effects).
How to Delay Periods Naturally
There are various OTC drugs available in the market, which can help to delay periods for few days, but these drugs may cause some side effects or health hazards if you take it regularly and without doctor’s advice.
Apart from medicines, there are many other natural ways and remedies that you can use to delay your periods for few days.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is an effective natural way to postpone your period for some days. It will not only delay your period but also slow down your premenstrual symptoms.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 3 Tsp
- Water – 1 glass
- Mix the apple cider vinegar in water and drink it.
- Drink these few days before the actual date of your period, 2 to 3 times a day to get effective results.
2. Gram Lentil Soup
Gram lentil is one of the traditional methods to delay period naturally.
- Gram Lentil – 1 cup
- Warm Water – 3 cups
- Roast the gram lentils properly.
- Grind it to make a powder.
- In a saucepan add warm water and gram lentil powder to it.
- Cook it in low flame until the gram lentil becomes soft.
- One week before the date of your period, you need to take this gram lentil soup every day.
- To get the most effective results take this gram lentil soup on an empty stomach in the morning.
If you want to delay your periods naturally for few days, then gelatin mix offers you a good solution.
- Gelatin Mix – 1pkt
- Warm water – 1 glass
- Take 1 glass of warm water and add 1 packet of gelatin to it.
- Mix it and drink it immediately.
- If you are in an emergency to delay your period, then this gelatin mix can give you a quick solution by postponing your period around 4 hours.
Lemon is a good source of citric acid, which help to push your periods for a few days. Apart from that consuming lemon juice also helps to resolve the symptoms that are related to periods like body ache, pain and inflammation when your period will occur.
- Lemons – 3
- Water – 100 ml
- Sugar – optional
- Take 100 ml of water and mix the juices of 3 lemons to it.
- You can add sugar to it for taste.
- Drink this lemonade thrice a day to postpone period naturally.
- Start drinking this lemon juice 3 days before your presumed period’s date.
5. Raspberry Leaves:
Nor only this fruit refresh you during the hot summer days but also its leaves help you to delay your period for few days.
- Raspberry Leaves – 5 to 6
- Water – 1 cup
- Take the raspberry leaves and sundry them.
- Take 1 cup of water in a saucepan to boil it in medium heat.
- When the water starts boiling, add the raspberry leaves and boil it for few minutes, and then off the flame.
- Cover it with a lid and leave for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Strain it and drink it hot.
- Start drinking this tea 1 week before your expected date of the period.
6. Tamarind Pulp
Tamarind not only adds a tangy taste to your food but also help you push your period for few days.
- Tamarind – 12 gms
- Water – 250 ml
- Sugar – 1 Tsp
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Soak the tamarind in the water overnight.
- In the morning take out the seeds and strain the tamarind water.
- Add the sugar and salt to it and mix properly.
- Drink this in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Start drinking this tamarind water 1 week prior to the date of your period to postpone your period for some days.
7. Fuller’s Earth
Do you know any other uses of fuller’s earth except adding a special glow to your face and skin? Yes, it has another use and that is to help you to delay your period for some days
- Water – ½ Liter
- Fuller’s Earth – 25 gms
- Soak 25 gms of fuller’s earth in water for 3 hours.
- Strain the water and make it 4 equal parts.
- Consume this water 4 times a day.
- Start drinking this mixture 6 to 8 days before your actual period date.
8. Chia Seeds
Chia seed has various health benefits. Apart from that, it is helpful to postpone your periods naturally.
- Chia Seeds – 1 tsp
- Water – cup
- Take 1 cup of water and add the chia seeds to it, and then leave overnight.
- Next day morning drink this on an empty stomach.
- Doing these 4 to 5 days before your actual period date can help you to postpone your period for some days.
- If you are experiencing excessive bleeding during menstruation, taking a cup of chia seed water will help to control it to a great extent.
9. Shepherd’s Purse
Shepherd’s purse is a good source of anti-hemorrhagic properties. So it works to reduce menstrual bleeding. It can also be used to delay your period naturally.
- Shepherd’s Purse Leaf – 3 to 4
- Water – 1 glass
- Sundry Shepherd’s purse leaf and grind to powder it.
- Add 1 glass of water and mix thoroughly.
- Drink it regularly few days before your actual period date to postpone it successfully.
10. Yarrow Tincture
The use of this herb effectively delays periods for some days. It works by controlling hormones in the female body.
- Yarrow Tincture – 5 drops
- Cold Water – 1 glass
- Add 5 drops of yarrow tincture to the cold water and drink.
- 2. Drink yarrow water 4 to 5 days before the actual date of your period to postpone it successfully.
11. Sacred Fig
You can drink the juice of sacred fig leaves to delay your period naturally. It postpones the period by controlling the hormone level of your body.
- Sacred Fig Leaves – a handful
- Water – 1 cup
- In a mixer grinder grind the sacred fig leaves along with the water.
- Grind it thoroughly and drink it.
- Drink this for a week before the actual date of your period.
12. Licorice Root Powder
The use of licorice root powder is one of the natural ways to postpone periods effectively. It interferes with the hormones of the female body to delay the monthly cycle.
- Licorice Root Powder – 3 to 4 gms
- Drained Rice Water – 1 cup
- Add the licorice root powder to the drained rice water.
- Mix it properly and drink.
- Take this drink for 1 week to postpone your monthly cycle naturally.
13. Indian Spikenard
Ancient Indian women used to take Indian spikenard to decrease the flow of heavy bleeding. But it was found that Indian spikenard can be used to delay periods naturally.
- Indian Spikenard Oil – 5 drops
- Lukewarm Water – 1 glass
- Take 1 glass of lukewarm water and mix Indian spikenard oil to it.
- Drink this mixture before the start of your menstrual cycle.
- It can help to delay your period for few days.
14. Angelica Root
Angelica root or dong quai has been used by Chinese people since ancient times to treat menstrual cramps. It interferes with the hormones of the female body and delays the monthly cycle.
- Angelica Roots – a few
- Water – 1 glass
- Steep the roots in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Strain it and drink this angelica root tea.
- Drink this tea 4 to 5 days before the starting of your period to get effective results.
15. Cinnamon Tea
Cinnamon tea is another natural way to delay your period. Apart from that it also has astringent properties that offer a relaxing effect on your body.
- Cinnamon Stick – 1
- Water – 1 cup
- Take 1 cup of water in a saucepan and add the cinnamon stick to it.
- Steep it in low heat for 15 minutes.
- Strain this cinnamon tea and drink.
- Use this cinnamon tea few days before your period to postpone it naturally.
16. Mustard Seeds:
Mustard seed is another natural way to push your period for some days.
- Dried Mustard Seeds – 40 gms
- Milk – 1 glass
- Grind the mustard seeds to make a fine powder.
- Mix two grams of mustard powder in the milk and drink.
- Take this drink twice a day few days before the arrival of your period.
17. Coriander Seeds
Coriander seeds also help to postpone your period in an effective way.
- Coriander Seeds: 20 gms
- Hot Water – 2 cups
- Add 20 gms of coriander seeds in hot water.
- Simmer it in low flame until it becomes a quarter of the original quantity of water.
- Drink the mixture regularly 1 week before the periods to delay it successfully.
18. Mango Bark
Mango bark which is used to prepare medicines related to menstruation can also be used to postpone menstruation date for few days. It is used to treat heavy bleeding.
- Mango Bark Extract – 12 ml
- Water – 150 ml
- Mix 12 ml of mango bark extract in 150 ml of water thoroughly.
- Keep this mango bark liquid in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Start taking 1 dose of mango bark liquid in every 3 hours (1 tablespoon makes 1 dose)
- Taking it 5 days before the actual date of a period can give you effective results.
19. French Beans
Eating French beans is another effective way to postpone your period for few days. It is observed that women who eat a lot of French beans tend to have lighter bleeding.
- French Beans – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Take the French Beans and add them to water.
- Boil the French Beans for 3 minutes.
- Strain the French beans and add lemon juice to the water and mix.
- Have it few days before your period date to postpone it successfully.
- If you want to delay your period, then start consuming a good amount of watermelon a few days before your period. Its cooling properties may help to delay the period for some days. Generation of excess heat in the body is one of the causes of the early period sometimes, so the cooling effects of watermelon can help to delay periods for some days.
- Like watermelon, cucumber also offers a cooling effect to the body and helps in decreasing the body temperature, hence helps in delaying periods successfully. Start consuming a good quantity of cucumber at least 1 week before the period date. It will help you to push your period for some more days.
- Like watermelon and cucumber, banana also helps to a great extent to postpone period for 2 to 3 days. Eat 2 bananas in breakfast and then drink a glass of water. Follow this process 4 to 5 days before the actual period date to get effective results.
23. Drink Lot of Water
- Drinking a lot of water may help you to push your period date for few days. Even if you are not successful after drinking a lot of water, it will help to make your period lighter.
24. Exercise a Lot
- Working out a lot is a proven way to push your periods for few days. If you are trapped within a sedentary lifestyle, start doing exercise daily and if you are working out daily, then start doing more to delay your periods. Go for high-intensity exercises like uphill cycling, aerobics, continuous swimming, muscle stretching, etc.
25. Stay Away From Spicy Food
- As per the experience of many women, spicy food triggers the period to come early. So in this scenario, avoiding spicy food can help you to push back your expected period date for some more days.
26. Breast Massage
- Though it is not a scientifically proven method, many women have stated that they became successful after following breast massage procedure. Give a regular massage to your breasts few days before your period. Move your fingers in a circular motion as well as move fingers first clockwise and then anti-clockwise starting from your nipple to the outer side of your breasts. You need to massage your breasts at least 200 times a day to get effective results.
Things You Should Remember While Delaying Period With Home Remedies
- The process of next period starts from the 14th day of the current month’s period. So, if you know about your schedule long before and want to delay your period then it is wise to start using the home remedies from the 14th day of the period to get effective results.
- Periods occur every month due to certain hormonal changes in the body. So, when you are trying to change the hormonal balance by using the home remedies you may sometimes feel fatigue and may get mood swings.
- Doing rigorous exercises for a long time is harmful to the body. When you become successful to push your period for few days, stop doing rigorous exercises.
- Postponing your period, again and again, is harmful to the body. Try to avoid postponing your period unless and until it is very urgent.
If you have sufficient time, try out these home remedies to get effective results. Different home remedies work differently for different women. Sometimes it may not work for you. When you want a sure shot result, it is advisable to talk to your physician to take pills to delay your period.